Supplements to this feature:
- Supplement 1 – BBC Nostalgic Musical Journey of UK Asian Music in the last 40 years. (added 7/9/2012)
- Supplement 2 – Rupal Rajani revists Uganda (Audio and video from the BBC, added 17/9/2012)
- Supplement 3 – Exiled: The Ugandan Asian Story (Video link from the BBC, added 21/9/2012)
- Supplement 4 – ITV News Reports on Ugandan Asians 40 Years On (Videos added 26/10/2012)
On 4th August 1972, the then Ugandan President, Idi Amin, ordered the expulsion of 50,000 Asians from Uganda, East Africa. 27,000 Ugandan Asians settled in the UK after entering as refugees with little possesions. A large number of them (10,000) settled in Leicester, many were OUR Samaj members. 2012 marks 40 years of these Asians in the UK. It wasn’t until 1981, some 9 years later, that OUR Leicester Bardai Samaj was formerly formed.
We offer this special feature for Samaj Members and bardaionline site visitors to remember those days that Ugandan Asians from Uganda and East Africa started their fresh uncertain life in the UK. To the new generation, this bardaionline feature is intended as an educational tool to show how some of our forefathers arrived in the UK. As you will see in the vintage videos below, Ugandan Asians were treated with mixed emotions and criticisms.
You may recognise some of the people. The first video (from ITV1) has interviews with some of today’s successful Leicester Asian Business owners including Leicester Samaj members Ranjan and Karan Modha of Anokhi Sarees. Watch out in the vintage third video for scenes of one of our early fellow Bardai Brahmin UK settler, Kishorebhai Narsibhai Pandit, and the last video features fellow Bardai Brahmins in Cardiff today.
- Expulsion of Asian from Uganda…more
- Ugandan Asians – Life 40 years on (from the BBC)…more
- Ugandan Asian recalls (from the BBC)…more
- Rupal Rajani’s Journey to Uganda – 40 years on (from the BBC)…more
- Various audio accounts…more
- Leicester Museums and Galleries Exhibition…more
Video 1: Proud to be British programme broadcast on Thurs 9th August 2012 on ITV1
Video 2: Ugandan Asians ITV Archive…CLICK HERE TO VIEW
Video 3: Man Alive Programme from the BBC
We hope you have enjoyed this special feature. Comment and let us know through our Feedback Page…more
If you have a story on life in Uganda or East Africa, or have recollections of your early life in the UK you want to share with other bardaionline site visitors, please email them to us.